Sunday, January 9, 2011

I'm just not into that

For several weeks in December and now the first week in January 11pm on Wednesday night has been "date" night for Steve and I. A little late if I say so myself but sometimes there's not many options. We've been watching the Penguins/Capitals 24/7: Road to the Winter Classic on HBO. While we both like hockey (Steve might be on the love level) I don't think I would have watched this had it not been for my hope of seeing my cousin featured and getting an insight into the everyday life of professional hockey players. Quite interesting actually. The documentary follows both teams and talks about the daily ins and outs of hockey. The highs and lows of winning and losing, Sidney's horrible moustache and they did actually feature Eric on episode 3. They showed Eric and his wife Rachel giving back by sponsoring a family through the Salvation Army and giving them Christmas presents. Kind of cool.

But what WASN'T cool was all of the swearing. Four years ago when I was serving I probably wouldn't have thought twice about all the swearing. I was so accustomed to it then. It was part of my daily life and while I didn't necessarily agree with it, I wasn't sensitive to it. Fortunately, things have changed. Through being an elementary teacher, being involved with mainly people from church in my circle of friends I hear very little swearing in real life. And I'm totally okay with that. I am glad that I have re sensitized to the unnecessary and vulgar nature of using expletives instead of real words in a conversation or to express to someone that you're not that happy.

Unfortunately what I watching didn't carry that same value. In Episodes 1 & 2 the swearing was intense. Lost a game, lost your cool, things are going well... swear about it. I wanted to do a vocabulary lesson with them to teach them some words they could use instead of the F word. That may be part of their everyday life but fortunately I was a little taken a back listening to it. Episode 3 either they edited out the swearing or the players and staff actually swore less... we'll never know. It might have had something to do with the Capitals coach's mom publicly saying that she was embarrassed to hear her son swearing a blue streak. But Episode 4 everyone was back to their old tricks. While I was really interested in the content the swearing just totally turned me off. Being HBO which is all about that there was no bleeping and they are all about the shock and vulgar aspect. In all I'm glad that while that negative and vulgar language isn't part of my life and find it so disappointing that other people are so consumed with it being part of their life. And that's what I have to say about that!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I hate listening to swearing too. My co-workers all swear on a regular basis, and as much as I hear them do it, I'm thankful that I'm not desensitized to it...yet. I still cringe every time.

PamJ said...

I can't believe the swearing is that BAD! I wonder if football is like that too? I know there are a lot of Christians in CFL and they even pray before and after games! LOVE that.
Anyways that is great they showed Eric & Rachel :) Did he throw any F bombs?

Krista Nicole said...

Eric definitely did not swear on the show although I don't know about in real life. Had he been the one swearing I definitely would have just turned it off.

I would think that in football it's not the guys praying that are doing the swearing but then again maybe it is. To pray doesn't necessarily mean that you will live the way God intends.