Saturday, April 26, 2008

All done, moving onto...

Yesterday was my last day of practicum. Last day with my Grade 1's. It was definitely bittersweet. Now I am all done practicum, I only have a conversation about my learning left on Tuesday and then I am off to graduation. But I will miss my little ones, today I drove in a new neighborhood and I noticed a street that had the same name as one of my students. I thought of stopping to take a picture so I could show this student on Monday. But alas, I won't be there on Monday. What a strange feeling.

Yesterday afternoon was something that was planned to be very exciting but it had a couple challenges. Yesterday was hot lunch day... exciting you think? Not if you're the teacher that has to deal with 23 students who have had not much more then ice cream sandwiches for lunch. So they were a little sugar rushed and I had planned to play Time bingo with them. And we did, except they talked non-stop. I gave them warnings and eventually had to say the game was over. I was almost in tears, but I couldn't let it go on. I had them do some spelling and after that we tried again much more successfully and we had treats and such. They also made me a book while I was away on Thursday. They each wrote a little page about their favourite thing that I taught them, or that we did together. So sweet and hillarious. Especially one child who wrote about me teaching him about Chinese New Years, which I didn't do. But he actually finished his work so my cooperating teacher couldn't break it to him that I had not taught him about that.
I went for a haircut right after I left school and I was doing a little bit of crying in the chair.

So the next step... I am registered to substitute starting next Thursday, in one division and I am waiting on my Child Abuse registry check to register in the other divisions I have my eyes on. I applied for one position which went to someone else (a very deserving someone else). However, there are 4 positions in the division I am aiming for that I will apply for on Monday.

So hopefully, I will have (more) good news to report shortly!
Cheers!

3 comments:

tammi said...

Congratulations, Krista!! What a great feeling to finally be finished, eh? Good luck finding yourself temporary and permanent work ~ and enjoy your summer!

. said...

all the best with the position/s!
congrats on makign it all the way to this point. i cannot imagine how good it must feel!

Pamela said...

Hooray! You must be so relieved to be finished!!