Thursday, June 12, 2008

It Gets Worse

I'm sorry, this is a post in which some self-pity may happen. But... my diamond in my engagement ring is chipped. And the chip has been spreading. This is not good. I'd rather never have any cookies for the rest of my life then have this problem. I took it to the jewelers where we bought it and our other rings to get checked out because it's been snagging things like towels, etc. We don't like our jeweler, she was fine when we bought the rings. Very helpful even, promised us free engraving, etc. But then, she said she didn't. We instead had to pay for everything she promised us free. So back to the chip. It is in one corner near one of the prongs, and spreads to the vicinity of the prong. The exact prong... that needs to be worked on. So I can either have them fix the prong at the risk of the diamond cracking apart and being ruined, or not get it fixed, and have it continue catching on things at the risk of losing the diamond completely. We don't have my ring insured separately and as far as I know tenant insurance won't cover this. So for now, I'm just not wearing it until I make my decision.

Cheers!

4 comments:

tammi said...

Oh no. That's awful. I was a little upset that we had to replace hubby's wedding ring, but mostly it was the expense that bugged me ~ and even that wasn't too bad because it's bascially just sterling silver. Hardly any gold and no diamonds. Replacing a rock is undoubtedly more costly.

Have you taken it anywhere else? There's got to be little independent jewel repair places that might be able to give you a little more hope than someone who just wants to sell you another ring for an inflated price.

Krista Nicole said...

Thanks- it is a bummer.

This was a little independent place but I am going to take it somewhere else too. If I get it worked on it won't be with this store unless they are willing to do something for me.

PamJ said...

That really sucks! You should take it to them and EXPLAIN. Don't take no for an answer. OR go to WK Chan in the mall. That's where we got our diamonds!

Pamela said...

That is terrible! Hopefully you can work something out.