Sunday, June 15, 2008

Just a little Sunday Run

Just before 6am this morning I started with breakfast. But not just any breakfast, this breakfast had to last me 13 MILES. So I hadthe breakfast of champions, a baked potato, chicken, and Coke. Yum.

The Marathon was today (obviously) and it was better then I expected. To start both Steve and Rochelle left me in the dust, then I was passed by a good couple thousand people. The first half of the race was great- I felt great and I paced myself perfectly. At Mile 6 was the first relay exchange and since my mom was running in the Marathon with her relay team "Pushing 50", she was there with her teammates as well as my dad, and so they got to see me running . That was cool. I continued on a good pace till around mile 7 when my knees started to hurt so bad. The second half of the race was a little more trying, I did spend some time walking but because it was just because of my knees I was okay with that. I ended up finishing at my target time which was 3 hours. On the way in one of the recovery people asked if I had fun and I said "no, that was torture". It wasn't really, but it felt like it at that point. Finishing the half-marathon was such a great experience! My in-laws were there on the last turn around the stadium and took a picture of me. And when I asked them if they had seen Steve- they said no. I was very confused where Steve could be, I knew I didn't pass him or Rochelle (who also ran the half). I went into the tent and found Carissa (who ran the relay) who said she hadn't seen either. I thought maybe something had happened to Steve. And do you know what happened to Steve.... he ran the half marathon in 2 hours. He had also been targeting 3 hours because he hadn't trained much so I was so astounded at his awesome accomplishment. He finished so fast his parents didn't even see him.

And now... I feel like an old woman. I feel like I need a double knee replacement and a new hip. I am so sore. In pain. I can barely walk around the house. We walked to Alto's for brunch with Steve's parents and we took about 15 minutes to walk what would usually take us 4. One of the neighbours asked if I had hurt my foot, to which I said "I hurt everything, I just ran the half marathon". She laughed at me.

So I don't think I'll do that again. I would definitely, definitely run the relay but I don't think I'll ever do this to my legs again.

To everyone who ran today, in whatever way...
Cheers!

5 comments:

PamJ said...

that's SO great you made it in your goal time! but too bad the way you feel now...

Andrea said...

TWO HOURS?!?! Holy Smokes!!

Your time is impressive though too. If I were to run that long distance, I'd be lucky if I finished in a DAY!!!

Pamela said...

You Rock! Wow! That is an impressive time! Steve did very well, I can't believe he ran it in 2 hours! We ran into your mom and her time at the finish line...she sounded very proud of you! Congrats on reaching your goal!

tammi said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment, Krista!! You did awesome! Hope you're feeling better today, too.

Melissa said...

Awesome work Krista