Sunday, June 8, 2008

Trying an Experiment

Unfortunately I cannot see it being fun. I think that I may... have Celiac's (I'll bet some of you thought I was going to confess to a pregnancy). I've been having some stomach issues as of the last five weeks. I've been feeling very uncomfortable, bloated, nauseous, mixed with a couple other things primarily after I eat. It has really affected my training for the marathon and I was thinking I had some sort of deficiency but when I told a friend the other day, who has Celiac's, she said it sounded like that. SAY IT AIN'T SO. Celiac's is a disease in which part of your intestine is damaged and therefore cannot absorb gluten in wheat and makes it into a toxin which causes these symptoms. Friday when my friend told me this might be the case for me, I wasn't ready to think it could be that. But yesterday after a big roll kuchen (mennonite fried bread) lunch at my parents I was more uncomfortable then ever.

So today I started my experiment. I'm going to try to go wheat-free for a week and see if some of my symptoms disappear. So far I'm on day one and I feel a lot better then I have all week. I really hope it's something else (and not something worse) because I would be very sad to miss out on so many wonderful foods like bread and baked stuff. I know that you can make these things with modified recipes but I will have to change the way I eat. I know this week we'll be having lots of meat, rice, potatoes, salads. And like so many other things in life right now... we'll just have to see what happens.

Cheers!

2 comments:

PamJ said...

sorry to hear that girl :(
I hope you find out what works for you soon! Good luck on your trial week.

Andrea said...

If you're noticing an improvement after just 1 day...just think how you'll feel by the end of the week!!