Sunday, August 3, 2008

Heading to Camp

So much of my summers as a teenager were spent at camp, Beaver Creek Bible Camp to be exact. It's a wonderful camp, about 2 hours north of Winnipeg, past Gimli, past Riverton, past Grandma's and a little jaunt up the Pine Dock Road (a gravel nightmare where I hit the ditch for the first time). I went there for the first time as a camper when I was 7 and my mom cooked in the kitchen. Every year since then my mom has cooked in the kitchen, first with me and Kurtis, and then with Chad and now whenever it works. As I grew up and out of life as a camper I took Leader Development Camp and became a counselor. I spent the full season, five weeks out there one year, another year I spent four weeks there and now my youngest brother Chad has done the same. This week will be his last week of five. This coming week the list of campers was looking awfully sparse and my mom is cooking so my mom got five of her former daycare kids to come to camp. A couple of them have special needs and so she asked me to come along to help them when necessary and be in the kitchen the rest of the time.

So, seeing that I was only going to do prep this week, and I don't work at the restaurant until Friday I thought I'd go. I've been camping all weekend and tomorrow morning we'll leave at 6am to go to camp. I anticipate many memories flooding over me as we drive up the drive way. I met my first boyfriend there, I met so many fabulous kids including one young lady Katelyn (who is now dancing on heavenly soil). Renee and I spent so much time together at camp, we never counseled together (as in the same cabin) but we definitely taught drama together, and had so much fun. Including hiding our least favourite song "Arky, Arky" which unfortunately we were too honest to hide for too long.

And now as I go back- it's my brother's generation that are the counselors and leaders of the camp. One of my former campers who I counseled when she was maybe 10, is now the assistant director! It will definitely feel a little bit different and I guess that's okay, seasons have come and gone since I was there last. I'm definitely glad though, that God is bringing me back.

Cheers!
Krista

1 comment:

Pamela said...

How fun to hear how God is working in the lives of your former campers! Assistant director?! wow!