Friday, August 15, 2008

My 101 in 1001

I've been reading as Pam has been checking off her 101 in 1001 in the last couple months and now I want in. It seems like a great way to get those little things that you want to do in life done.

Here's the idea
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.


Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.

My Start date- August 15, 2008
My End date- May 13, 2011
Goals in Bold are Done
Goals in italicized are in progress

My List
1. Buy a house
2. Get a full-time permanent job

Purchases and Creations
3. Buy a new coffee table
4. Get a label maker
5. Buy a new TV stand
6. Get a KitchenAid Stand mixer
7. Get a food processor
8. Buy a bike
9. Buy a new computer
10. Buy a piece of jewelry at Tiffany's
11. Make an upholstered headboard
12. Make pillows for the couch
13. Make a gift for a friend
14. Sew 4 things 1/4 - I hemmed a pair of pants 09/04/08
15. Buy a new(er) car
16. Make bread from scratch (And it has to taste good)
17. Get two new games 0/2
(I selectively used the word get in some places as you never know what people are going to want to buy me...)

People and Places
18. Go to New York with Steve (I've been twice, and he would really love to go)
19. Go to the observation deck of the Empire State Building
20. Go on a plane with Steve (he's been on a few planes, I've been on more but never together)
21. Go to camp for two weeks (not necessarily in the same year)
22. Make Steve breakfast in bed
23. Go camping with just Steve
24. Go on an anniversary trip (probably won't include #23)
25. Go on a road trip longer then 6 hours away
26. Throw a birthday party - My mom's 50th bday party- 09/07/08
27. Have a dinner party once a month for 6 months 0/6
28. Visit a new state
29. Cook a meal for my family
30. Cook a meal for Steve's family (I think this will have to be after we buy a house, there's not room for all of them in our apartment)
31. Have photos taken of the two of us
32. Send out Christmas cards (most likely including #31)
33. Have family pictures taken with my family
34. Visit 3 out of town family members 0/3
35. Buy 3 friends flowers 0/3
36. Go on a hot holiday
37. Sponsor a missionary we're not currently sponsoring
38. Email or call Monique once a week for 3 months

39. Email or call Karyn once a week for 3 months
40. Go on a date night once a month 1/32- we went to the Forks tonight
41. Invite a new friend out for a meal
42. Bake for 5 friends 5/5
43. Take my parents out for supper
44. Have pictures taken with Karyn and Monique

Out and About
45. Eat at 5 new restaurants 1/5
We went to Niko's- 08/17/08

46. Eat at my old Boston Pizza (for some reason I just haven't been going back)- Went 9/5/08
47. Go to a Goldeye's Game
48. Go to two Bomber Games 0/2
49. Eat outside 10 days in 3 weeks 0/10
50. Eat at the dining room table every day for a month
51. Go to a concert
52. Try 5 new flavours of gelati 2/5- first new flavour tried was Blood Orange 08-15, Pink Grapefruit 08-17

Healthy Living
53. Get a gym membership
54. Go to the Gym 3 times a week for 6 months
55. Eat vegetarian once a week for 6 weeks 0/6
56. Lose 10 pounds and keep it off for 6 months
57. Be in bed by 10pm for 2 weeks
58. Wake up before 7 am for 3 weeks
59. Watch no TV for one month
60. Quit biting my nails for 4 months
61. Reward myself for not biting nails by having one manicure a month for every month without biting
62. Don't eat fried chips for two months
63. Drink only water for three weeks

Home to Stay
64. Create a sports room with Steve
65. Paint a room in our house by myself
66. Create a welcoming guest/Karyn + Monique room
67. Have flowers waiting for overnight guests
68. Start a garden
69. Buy a Christmas Tree
70. Buy a Christmas Tree Skirt
71-85- To Be Determined once we buy a house (#1)

Organization
86. Label my files in my filing cabinet at home and at school
87. Frame three pictures I have taken 0/3
88. Start and Finish our wedding album
89. Make a new list by May 12, 2011- by then the list may include... kids...

Can't Put it in a Category
90. Take a cooking class
91. Take a dance class
92. Watch all the seasons of SATC
93. Start putting money into RRSP's
94. Read 10 non-teaching books
95. Incur no late fees at the library for 1 year (this may be hard)- Started August 16 with a clean slate!
96. Watch a sunset

97. Watch a sunrise
98. Get a pet
99. Go credit card-less for one month
100. Watch our wedding video (yes, it's been 3 years and we haven't watched it)
101. Blog 3 times a week for 2 months

That's my 101 minus a couple. Here's to the next 1001 days!
Cheers!

Krista

5 comments:

pam said...

Good luck with your list. If I can help out (e.g. by being your dinner party company, or a friend you can bake for) - just let me know!

Andrea said...

Wow -- great list! I don't know if I could come up with 101 things...I've been tempted to do this too, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I can teach you how to bake bread that tastes good. :)

Pamela said...

Nice List! I want to thank you for helping me exceed my goal number 76, lol!
I would love a kitchen aid mixer too! If you have not been to infernos bistro I would recommend it for #45. #59 would be a hard one for me...probably even harder than 100 days without pop! For #95, have you thought about being put on their email list? I asked in person one day and now I get an email 3 days before my books are due and then I renew them online if I am still using them or drop them off before the due date. Maybe that will help you avoid late fees! I look forward to hearing about your progress and also to #101 :)

Krista Nicole said...

Andrea- I just may ask for your help.
pam d- I'll let you know
Pamela- I am on their email list but somehow hasn't really helped. Well it has a little. No TV will be a hard one but I may not do that until we are in a house where I don't "have" to be around the TV all the time.
Thanks for your encouragement!

Mark said...

Awesome idea. My list is about 8 things and I'm having trouble with it - good luck with your 101!