Thursday, September 25, 2008

First Field Trip

Today was our field trip to the Steinbach Library. It was pretty good. A couple snags, a couple frusterations as walking in pairs behind another pair, on the sidewalk, without leaving huge gaps was clearly too much for my kids to do all at the same time. They looked like a clump walking down the sidewalk (or on the grass...). The Library is about 4 blocks away from our school and I was so happy to have a glorious fall day to walk there. And we even did some learning along the way talking about the leaves, evergreens and deciduous trees. I even let them feel the different kinds of trees. But their favourite part was the stories. The librarian read us two hillarious stories and she had some great character voices to go along with them. And the kid's "second" favourite... when the librarian gave them suckers.

The mother that I had with me asked me at the end. "How do you do this everyday?" (and she used to be a teacher !?!) to which I replied "With love and patience." I may have to say the same thing 30 times a day but I imagine that as the year goes on I may only have to say that 20 times in January and 10 times in Spring. They have already learned a lot so I know that my work is worth it. Even for the petit paycheques...

1 comment:

Pamela said...

How exciting! First field trip! I am glad to hear it went well. Where are you going next?